Software Engineer Intern
Quill is a free literacy tool that teaches writing, grammar, and vocabulary skills to students. We are a nonprofit, open source organization,, and there are currently over 200,000 students using Quill. With your help we can teach millions of students. Learn more about our mission here: http://www.quill.org/mission. We’ve had over 100 people contribute to the site, from developers writing code to educators creating activities. You can see our entire community at https://community.quill.org
Software Engineers help us build and test new features. Teachers and students have requested a number of new features and learning activities. Help us develop these features! We are located in the Financial District of NYC, and this will be a commitment of 15-40 hours per week. This position is unpaid. Quill accepts interns throughout the year for 2-6 month internships.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Helping plan the app’s architecture.
- Writing unit tests and documentation.
- Identifying key issues to focus on from our issue tracker: https://community.quill.org/teams/empirical-core/issues/
Why Should You Join Us?
- Solve Important Problems – Our vision is to educate the next generation of writers. Your work has the chance to positively impact millions of students.
- Big Responsibilities – You will be leading projects and helping us make decisions. We’re looking for people who like to take initiative.
- Small Team – You will be working with a small team of 4 co-founders, two of whom graduated from Bates in 2011.
What Makes You a Good Fit?
- Willingness to Learn – You enjoy spending time researching and learning about new technologies.
- Asking Questions – We’ve built a large team of mentors, and you’ll need to be comfortable reaching out to our network to ask questions and seek advice.
- Web App Knowledge – You’ve built your own web apps before, for fun or profit.
To apply please send a brief letter of introduction to Peter Gault at peter (at) quill.org.